Remains of 3 babies found in London home
THE CANADIAN PRESS, June 09, 2009
LONDON, Ont.-A woman described as a recluse was back in custody and facing additional charges Tuesday after police discovered that infant remains found in a southern Ontario home were in fact the badly decomposed bodies of three babies who may have died years ago.
The grisly find left police with a slew of unanswered questions ahead of an autopsy to be performed Thursday, including the sex of the children, the causes of death, and their relationship to the woman charged.
What is clear is that the bodies are severely decomposed, so much so that police initially thought they were dealing with the remains of only one child, said London police Det.-Supt. Ken Heslop.
"The bodies have been decomposing, it could be over a number of years," Heslop said.
"We won't know anything until, I'm hoping, Thursday or Friday, depending on how long the examinations take."
Jennifer Sinn, 32, who police said was a former resident of the home, was charged Sunday with one count of concealing the body of a child and one count of offering an indignity to a dead human body after police were called by an occupant of the home.
Neighbours said the woman's partner is the one who discovered the remains and made the call.
She had been released on a promise to appear in court but was taken back into custody Monday and charged with two additional counts of each offence Tuesday after it was discovered three infants were involved.
"They were discovered as part of the post-mortem examination," Heslop said. "Due to the decomposition it was difficult to see that there was more than one there."
Sinn's lawyer, Jeanine LeRoy, said her client made a brief court appearance Tuesday and was to appear again for a video remand June 19.
LeRoy, who has also taken on the high-profile defence of one of the two people charged with murder in the disappearance of Victoria Stafford in Woodstock, Ont., said she could not comment further on Sinn's case.
London police were in contact with other forces across Ontario, as Sinn had previously lived outside of the city and the force had information that the alleged crimes may have not occurred in London.
Investigators were not releasing the names of the other police forces involved, a police spokesman said Tuesday evening.
Karen Elliot, who lives next door to the duplex where police continued to gather evidence, said Sinn moved into the home about six months ago and was a recluse whose parents delivered food to her door.
Elliot said Sinn's partner told her that he found boxes containing the remains in the basement and immediately called police.
"I came home to police officers and a forensic unit," Elliot said of the scene Saturday.
"I looked out my daughter's back window and I saw what looked like a bunch of taped up boxes with garbage bags and one of them was open and it looked like bloody clothing."
Sinn appeared to have moved out of the home about two weeks ago, Elliot added.
A woman who identified herself as Sinn's sister when contacted at her London, Ont.-area home said she hadn't spoken to her sister in 15 years, but would not comment further.
Neighbours said there were three children who, at some point, lived in the home where the babies' remains were found - two older children and an infant about 12 months old.
"She's pretty much a recluse," Elliot said.
"She would open up the door long enough to do whatever and would go right back in and shut both doors."
The neighbourhood was shaken up by the discovery.
"Everybody is just distraught. People aren't sleeping at night and they're taking sleeping pills in order to sleep," said Elliot. ``This is a really family-oriented community, everybody has got children."
The autopsy is scheduled for Thursday at the Centre of Forensic Sciences in Toronto.
Woman convicted of killing 3 kids after custody battle
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS, USA, August 26, 2008
HELSINKI, Finland - A court in Finland has convicted a woman of murdering her three young children and has given her a life sentence.
The Espoo District Court says Thai-born Yu-Hsiu Fu was found guilty of strangling her 8-year-old twin daughters and 1-year-old son in her home.
She tried to kill herself afterward.
The verdict on Tuesday says the 41-year-old woman was found to be of sound mind at the time of the murders.
Court papers show the murders were preceded by a bitter custody battle with her Finnish husband who was living separately from her at the time of the murders.
A life sentence in Finland mean convicts usually serve at least 11 years in prison.
ST. STEPHEN, N.B. - A New Brunswick judge says a woman who burned and dismembered her newborn son is criminally responsible for her actions.
Becky Sue Morrow earlier pleaded guilty to offering an indignity to a dead body and disposing of a newborn with the intent of concealing a delivery.
Judge David Walker ruled Friday that the 27-year-old woman may have been suffering from a mental disorder when she delivered the baby but that that was not the case when the baby's body was burned and its remains hidden.
It is not known if the baby was alive at the time of birth.
At a hearing last month, the court heard contrasting reports from the two psychiatrists. One said Ms. Morrow was in a "disassociated" mental state when the crime occurred. The other said she clearly planned her actions and understood the consequences.
Wednesday, May. 22, 2002
KINGSTON, Ont. (CP) -- An Ontario woman who was sentenced to 16 years in prison in one of Canada's stiffest penalties for child abuse will be released on full parole after serving less than half her term.
Lorelei Turner, 38, and her husband Steven were convicted of manslaughter in July 1995 for beating and starving their three-year-old son John to death in a case that horrified Canadians who followed the trial.
But on Wednesday, a panel of the National Parole Board in this eastern Ontario city ruled Turner will be released but placed on probation until July 2011.
Until then, she must remain within 25 kilometres of her residence, is not allowed unsupervised contact with anyone under 16, and must continue to receive counselling.
"The board would have looked at the risk and obviously found a low risk to reoffend," Carol Sparling of the National Parole Board said Wednesday.
Mainichi Daily News, Sakai, Osaka, Japan, November 26, 2006
SAKAI, Osaka -- A woman accused of cutting off her newborn son's private parts in 2004 was ordered Monday to spend five years behind bars.
The Sakai branch of the Osaka District Court convicted Shizue Tamura, 27, a resident of Izumi, Osaka Prefecture, of inflicting bodily injury.
"The way she committed the crime was unprecedented, inhumane and cruel," Presiding Judge Masahiro Hosoi said as he handed down the ruling. Prosecutors had demanded an eight-year prison term. Read More ..
This overview paper summarizes recent research on girls who exhibit aggressive and violent behaviours. It defines relevant terms, outlines factors which may contribute to girls' aggression and violence, and presents ideas for preventing these behaviours. A list of resources is also included. 2002, 13p.