Ontario is wrong to claw back child support payments for those who receive social assistance.
The Toronto Star, Dec 24 2015, by Desmond Cole
The year-round challenge of surviving poverty is especially rough for those who celebrate Christmas. We seem to intuitively get this, and many of us donate more food, clothing, toys and money during the holiday season. A Toronto woman whom I'll call Sarah got the equivalent of a lump of coal in her stocking this week - her welfare worker called to say she owes the government money because her ex-husband has fallen behind on his child support payments.
Like all Ontarians on social assistance, Sarah doesn't see a dime of the child support payments her ex owes her. The province claws the money back, and ensures that Sarah and her 8-year-old daughter only receive what a single woman on welfare is entitled to under its punitive system. Since welfare learned that Sarah's husband was paying less support than he owes, the government will now deduct the difference in her future payments. Merry Christmas. Read More ..
Truth and Reconciliation Commission said in its final report that 'corporal punishment is a relic of a discredited past and has no place in Canadian schools or homes'
OTTAWA The Globe and Mail, Canada's largest national newspaper, Sunday, Dec. 20, 2015, by Gloria Galloway
In promising to enact all of the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, the federal Liberals have agreed to remove a section of law that allows parents to spank their kids without fear of prosecution.
Groups that oppose corporal punishment of children have spent many years urging successive governments in Ottawa to repeal Section 43 of the Criminal Code that permits parents and teachers to use reasonable force to correct the behaviour of youngsters in their care.
The Truth and Reconciliation Commission, which heard thousands of tales of physical abuse inside Indian residential schools, said in its final report that "corporal punishment is a relic of a discredited past and has no place in Canadian schools or homes." The repeal of Section 43 was No. 6 on a list of 94 "calls to action" included in the report, which was made public last week.
When asked if Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's promise to act on every TRC recommendation meant repealing the so-called spanking law, a spokesman for Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould would only say the government remains committed to implementing all of the commission's calls to action.
In 2004, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that physical force was acceptable within certain bounds - it cannot be used on children under the age of 2, it cannot involve implements such as a paddle or a belt and blows to a child's head are not allowed. Teachers and faith-based groups praised the decision, saying the people who are responsible for raising children must have the leeway to decide when moderate physical discipline is required. Read More ..
Toronto Star newspaper headline (front page)-
Toronto Star website
A black community group in Peel recommends mandatory collection and sharing of race-based data on Ontario kids in care.
The Toronto Star, By: Jim Rankin, Feature reporter, Sandro Contenta News, Wed Dec 09 2015
The Ontario government should make it mandatory for all children's aid societies to collect and make public race-based data on kids in their care.
The recommendation - along with a call for an African-Canadian society to support Toronto-area black families - is included in a position paper by the Black Community Action Network (BCAN) of Peel. It will be released Wednesday morning at a Brampton conference of Peel community leaders and children's aid society officials.
"The collection and dissemination of that data is critical to be able to assess whether the kinds of services that we have available are effective, to hold some of these agencies accountable for the kinds of services they are delivering," Dr. Julian Hasford, the paper's author and a community psychologist, said in an interview.
"I don't think that we're going to be able to make informed and effective decisions with respect to system change without that information."
The group also wants the Peel Children's Aid Society to follow the lead of the Children's Aid Society of Toronto and report publicly on the proportion of children in care - and the number of families involved with the society - who are black. Read More ..
December 4, 2015
Liberals under pressure to fix Ontario's child protection system
( above is headline The Toronto Star newspaper website )
website version - In more than half of child abuse investigations reviewed by auditor general Bonnie Lysyk's office, the children's aid societies failed to make mandatory checks of the Ontario Child Abuse Register.
Child protection system needs urgent fix: AG
( above is headline The Toronto Star newspaper, page A4 )
newspaper version- Aid societies failed to check Ontario Child Abuse Register, leaving some kids at 'risk'
The Toronto Star, Friday Dec. 4 , 2015, by Sandro Content, staff reporter and Jim Rankin Feature reporter,
The Ontario government is under pressure to fix a child protection system criticized by the auditor general for putting some children in "serious risk."
In her report, Bonnie Lysyk describes a child protection system riddled with problems, from badly conducted abuse investigations to a floundering Ministry of Children and Youth Services that fails to oversee Ontario's privately run children's aid societies.
At stake are the lives of 15,625 children who, on average, were in foster or group-home care in 2014-15, and the well-being of thousands more investigated for possible abuse.
In more than half of child abuse investigations reviewed by Lysyk's office, the children's aid societies failed to make mandatory checks of the Ontario Child Abuse Register. The register would note if caregivers had a history of abuse.
"Failure to conduct these crucial history checks puts children in serious risk of being placed or left in the care of individuals with a history of abusing children," Lysyk's report states. Read More ..
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS, Saturday, November 21, 2015, By Kerry Burke, Ross Keith, Rocco Parascandola, Thomas Tracy
A deranged woman fatally stabbed an expectant mom before cutting a baby girl from the dying victim's womb.
The baby - later named little Genesis - miraculously survived the Bronx horror.
Officials described the Friday delivery as a crude operation where the girl was "surgically removed by the perpetrator."
The newborn was taken to Montefiore Medical Center and listed in stable condition hours after her mother was murdered.
The mom, Angelikque Sutton, was 8½ months pregnant and preparing for the baby's arrival on Dec. 2. Her baby registry on thebump.com was full of items she needed, including a Koala baby folding hamper, a convertible crib and a pink baby essentials duffel diaper bag. She also was registered at Babies "R" Us and Target. Read More ..
Andre Marin says system has improved but 'over $200,000 not going to needy parents'
The Canadian Press, July 28, 2015
Ontario Ombudsman Andre Marin took aim at the Family Responsibility Office and the justice system in his annual report that came out Tuesday.
The Ontario agency responsible for enforcing court-ordered child and spousal support payments has been singled out again by the ombudsman because of a growing number of complaints.
There were 1,167 complaints about the Family Responsibility Office in 2014-15, a slight increase over the previous year but up considerably from 794 complaints two years ago, ombudsman Andre Marin said in his annual report Tuesday. Read More ..
The incident at gunpoint was one in a series in the country where women have been implicated, but that police are reluctant to investigate. In some cases the attackers are said to be seeking male sperm.
The Toronto Star, by Stephanie Findlay, Special to the Star, Published website on Thu May 7, 2015 - Published newspaper Saturday, May 9, 2015
PRETORIA, SOUTH AFRICA - A South African man was raped by three women for his semen this week, the latest incident in a series of attacks that has seen groups of women sexually assaulting men in the country.
A 33-year-old man said he was held at gunpoint by the women on Tuesday. He alleges he was forced into a black BMW, given a drink that caused an erection, and then raped near the coastal city of Port Elizabeth. The women put his semen in a cooler box before leaving him in an open field and driving away.
"They pointed at him with a firearm directly, a shotgun," said constable Mncedi Mbombo. "They gave him something to drink, then they left him after they got the sperm." Read More ...