Doctors Re-examine Circumcision
by Thomas Ritter, M.D. and George Denniston, M.D., University of Washington, December 2004
ABOUT THE AUTHORS
Thomas J. Ritter, M.D., has practiced general surgery for over three decades, and is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Dr. Ritter is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and is a Diplomate of the American Board of Surgery. The father of six children, he lives with his wife in Pennsylvania.
George C. Denniston, M.D., M.P.H., is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, and the Harvard School of Public Health, and is associated with the Department of Family Medicine, University of Washington. He lives with his wife in Seattle.
- Circumcision Inflicts a Diminished Penis on Your Newborn Baby Boy
- Circumcision Is Really Foreskin Amputation, and Is Abusive
- Circumcision Is Very Painful and Traumatizing--A Terrible Way to Welcome Your Newborn
- Circumcision Produces Psychological and Emotional Pain and Anguish to Sons and Parents
- Circumcision Creates Unnecessary Surgical Risks and Complications
- Cleanliness and Hygienic Reasons Mandate That We Do Not Circumcise
- No Extra Care Is Needed for an Intact Infant or Young Boy
- Your Son Will Learn How Simple It Is to Keep Himself Clean
- The Foreskin Is Normal and Natural
- What Looks "Funny" to Some Is Natural and Normal
- When Unaroused, the Glans of the Penis Is Meant to Be an Internal Organ, Like the Clitoris
- The Foreskin Enhances Sexual Pleasure!
- Circumcision Robs the Male of His Birthright--A Fully Functioning Penis
- It Makes Just As Much Sense to Circumcise Baby Girls
- Circumcision is a Disservice to Both the Male and Female--Especially in Later Life
- Europeans and Asians Do Not Circumcise Their Sons
- The "I'm Circumcised and I'm Fine" Syndrome
- Circumcision Removes a Lot More Than a Little Snip of Skin
- Your Son's Penis Does Not Have to Look Like His Father's
- Men Circumcised as Infants Are Even Now Restoring Their Foreskins
- Males with Foreskins Will Have a Lot of Company in the Locker Room
- Males Masturbate Whether They Have Foreskins or Not
- The History of Circumcision is Filled with Hysteria, Bias, Misinformation, etc.
- Christianity Does Not Require or Promote Circumcision
- Some Jewish People Are Even Changing Their Minds on Circumcision
- Don't Be Fooled, Most Books, Including Medical Textbooks, Contain Inaccurate Information
- Don't Accept, at Face Value, What Your Doctor Has to Say About Circumcision
- Most Physicians Are Circumcised Males or Female Doctors Whose Husbands or Sons Are Circumcised
- Make No Mistake, There Is Money in Circumcision
- Circumcision Does Not Prevent Premature Ejaculation
- Penile and Cervical Cancer Are Not Valid Reasons for Infant Circumcision
- The Uncircumcised Penis Is Not More Prone to Urinary Tract Infections
- The Uncircumcised Penis is Not More Likely to Spread STD's, Including AIDS
- No, He Probably Won't Have to Have It Done Later Anyway
- Intact Men Are More Likely to Use a Condom
- Major Medical Associations Say Circumcision Is Unnecessary
- Some Insurance Companies and Programs Are No Longer Paying for Routine Infant Circumcision
- Many Noted Physicians and Others Have Spoken Out Against Circumcision
- If You're Not Sure--Don't Do It!
- Say No to Circumcision!
Physician's Guide to the Normal (Intact) Penis
Notes and Selected Medical References
Infant Circumcision Surgery in Photos