Canadian Children's Rights Council
Conseil canadien des droits des enfants
Virtual Library of Newspaper Articles

Toronto Star logo
Canada's largest daily newspaper

Slain baby's mother tried to kill self, police say

Woman's 911 call led police to her son's body

Toronto Star, by Bob Mitchell STAFF REPORTER, March 28, 2009

A 34-year-old mother of three from Bolton tried to commit suicide after allegedly killing her 18-month-old baby boy, police say.

Peel police yesterday found the dead infant in the passenger seat of a Honda parked in an underground parking garage of a downtown Mississauga office building.

The child's mother, Nadine Bernard, who had called 911 a little earlier, was found at the scene and taken to hospital, police said.

"We believe she attempted to commit suicide," Peel Const. Wayne Patterson said. "She was taken to hospital and treated."

The woman, who has been charged with first-degree murder, made a brief appearance in a Brampton court late yesterday afternoon. She remains in custody after bail was denied. She is on a suicide watch and is scheduled to return to court Monday.

"This is a very tragic and sad case to be investigating," Peel homicide Insp. Norm English said.

Bernard's two older children were located unharmed with family members, police said.

"They're safe," Patterson said. "That was our main concern."

Police would not reveal whether Bernard is single or married, but a source said she lived in Bolton with her children and other family members.

Police won't reveal what they found when they arrived at the parking garage at the Mississauga Executive Centre at about 8 a.m., in response to Bernard's 911 call.

English said investigators are trying to determine Bernard's connection to the office building at 1 Robert Speck Parkway, across from Square One Shopping Centre.

Police, who confirmed the only crime scene was the parking garage, would not reveal how the child died and said they would not be releasing autopsy results.

Investigators will review security footage to determine when the car was driven into the garage.

"There are a lot of questions that need to be answered," Patterson said. "It's still very early in the investigation."

Forensic identification officers examined the vehicle at the scene before it was towed away.